First Community Missionary Baptist Church was founded in the year nineteen hundred eighty-six by a group of inspired people who had a love for God and who had hopes of a new place to worship. The charter members held their initial meeting on the 4th Sunday of November in that year. They met each week to organize. Upon locating a place to worship, the group asked Rev. William Richardson to serve as the group's spiritual leader and pastor. Rev. Richardson promptly accepted the offer. Thirty years later we are still meeting, growing, fellowshipping, and praising His Holy name.
Rev. William Richardson
Rev. William Richardson, Sr. is the founder and pastor of First Community Missionary Baptist Church where he has served as pastor for over 30 years. A native of Durham, North Carolina, he received his secondary education in the Durham Public School system. He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Religion from Shaw University, an Associate’s degree in Religion and a Master’s of Divinity degree from Southeastern Theological Seminary. In May 2000, he was awarded the Doctor of Humane Letters Honorary Degree by the Apex School of Theology. Most recently, Rev. Richardson was awarded the prestigious “Order of the Long Leaf Pine” by Governor Beverly Purdue for outstanding service to the state of North Carolina in his prison ministry.
• Catechizer and Executive Board Member in the East Cedar Grove Baptist Association
• Community Volunteer Sponsor for the NC Division of Prisons
• Secretary of the Board of Trustees at the Apex School of Theology
• Member, Interdenominational Ministerial Alliance of Durham, NC and vicinity
• Member, Orange County Ministerial Alliance
• Chaplain, Hillsborough Police Department
• Mentor to inmates at the Hillsborough Department of Corrections AWARDS
• Outstanding Achievement Award for Community Service presented by former
Mayor Chester Jenkins of Durham, NC
• Service Award for Outstanding Leadership as Moderator presented by the Women’s
Auxiliary of the East Cedar Grove Association
• Leadership and Support Award presented by Florine Robinson, President of the
Durham Chapter NAACP
• Speaker Award presented by the Hillsborough Chapter NAACP
• Service To Mankind Award presented by the Hillsborough Sertoma Club
• 4-H Youth Leadership Outstanding Volunteer Award
• Outstanding Community Volunteer Award presented by the Orange County Correctional Center
United States and Abroad, Preaching experiences to congregations in Switzerland and Austria
Golfing and spending family time with his six adult children and extended family.